Exam board: AQA
- 60% practical
- 40% written
- 60% non-examined assessment (NEA) – Ofqual regulation for GCSE Dance.
The course consists of two components:
Component 1- All practical work: Performance and choreography (60%) –
• Performance in a duet/trio (3 to 5 mins)
• Performance - Solo Performance (x2 30-second set pieces)
• Choreography- students own choreography (2.30 minutes long).
Component 2- All Theory: Dance appreciation (40%)
Written examination at the end of Yr 11 - (1½ hrs)
There are three sections to the written paper:
• Section A: knowledge and understanding of choreographic processes. Questions will relate to a given stimulus or starting point.
• Section B: critical appreciation of own work. Questions will relate to students’ own experience of performance, or choreography or both within the course.
• Section C: critical appreciation of professional works. Students will answer questions relating to six GCSE Dance anthologies.
Guidance on new grading system 1-9 on AQA, Ofqual/DfE websites