BTEC Performing Arts (Dance)
We follow the NQF qualification in BTEC Dance. The course is fun, high energy, physically demanding and academically challenging.
The BTEC is composed of 3 units (1 core and 2 selected). Each unit is broken down into assignments which you are assessed practically at half term intervals. At the end of the course your grade will be calculated from the individual unit grades.
The BTEC is assessed using the grading grid and grading criteria of Pass, Merit, or Distinction. Unit 1 is externally assessed and Unit 2 & 4 are subject to external verification.
The course consists of:
·Completing 3 units
-Individual Show case x 2 Solo’s and a written (exam)
-Dance Skills- Group Performance (coursework)
-Preparation, Performance & Production Group Performance (coursework)
Please note in order to achieve your grades you will need to perform in front of an audience.
· Completing a self-evaluation at the end of Unit 2 & 4.
· Keeping a log book/lesson Diary’s for unit 2 & 4.
· Completing the written task within unit 1.
· Performing in school productions, in and around the community, and to invited audiences.
· BTEC Dance cohorts have a highly successful track record of achievement, are well known in the community for their performances and often move onto Performing Arts Level 3 courses when leaving Park View.
Year 9 & 10 GCSE Dance
Exam board: AQA
- 60% practical
- 40% written
- 60% non-examined assessment (NEA) – Ofqual regulation for GCSE Dance.
The course consists of 2 components:
Component 1: Performance and choreography (60%) - Performance in a duet/trio (3 to 5 mins)
Performance and choreography - Solo Performance (2 x 30secs)
Component 2: Dance appreciation (40%)
Written examination (1½ hrs)
• Section A: knowledge and understanding of choreographic processes. Questions will relate to a given stimulus or starting point.
• Section B: critical appreciation of own work. Questions will relate to students’ own experience of performance, or choreography or both within the course.
• Section C: critical appreciation of professional works. Students will answer questions relating to the GCSE Dance anthology.
Guidance on new grading system 1-9 on AQA, Ofqual/DfE websites